pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

Honda owner for all of my adult life. Computer engineer for about the same amount of time.

Can someone clue me in to what the obstacle in modifying/flashing the OBD2 ECUs is? It seems like the general method is to put a OBD1 ECU in and just use that.

Looking at the board, i don't see why it couldn't be dumped, modified, and flashed relatively easily.

I am happy to contribute in any way i can, but i suspect I'm not the first to try, and don't want to start trying to piss up a rope.

Any information and/or links to why I'm wasting my time are welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

senordingdong wrote:
Honda owner for all of my adult life. Computer engineer for about the same amount of time.

Can someone clue me in to what the obstacle in modifying/flashing the OBD2 ECUs is? It seems like the general method is to put a OBD1 ECU in and just use that.

Looking at the board, i don't see why it couldn't be dumped, modified, and flashed relatively easily.

I am happy to contribute in any way i can, but i suspect I'm not the first to try, and don't want to start trying to piss up a rope.

Any information and/or links to why I'm wasting my time are welcome.

I am wondering this exact thing. It seems these forums are about 10 years of not-used, but I still haven't heard of anyone chipping/tuning/modding OBD2 Hondas..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm 

Ive actually done quite a bit of research into it, and it turns out that while its relatively trivial to dump and modify the chip data, it is not possible to rewrite it.

It is a OKI MCU that is only writable one time, and does not have any interface for external memory. Since it is something of an obscure chip the pricing is very high. lowest i saw was around $100 with significant lead time from china. So, while totally possibly, not cost effective unless you are certain of your tune, because you don't get a second chance if you messed something up.

I read through the data sheet several times hoping for something but it seems pretty cased closed on this one.

There are several similar OKI MCUs that have EEPROM memory, but they don't appear to be pin compatible with this MCU.

I ordered a cheap ECU to play with before a realized this was a dead end, so once it gets here ill see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

If i turn anything up i will post here.